Friday, April 21, 2006

Naming Children

Because of the slight excitement on the post about boys, I thought that something about how couples name children might be a fun topic.

Little Snobaybe had NO idea that there was always a kerfluffle whenever I tried to meet minds with my childrens father, and come up with a name.

So said number one child, my estimable Sean, who by the way is going to Ohio for his education as a pharmacist by the way, was due. And we STILL couldn't agree on a name, and my ex didn't agree what with all the 9 months of non-stop sickness, labor ect, that I should get the right to name the baby my choice over his. Harmpf...lol

Well about three hours before my water broke (always my first sign I am labor which is a good thing, because one contractions start, WATCH OUT!) he suggested Shaun,Shawn, Sean.( all listed here for everyone's favorite pick! OPkay, so I missed a few Irish variations, but the point is there!)

Well, the story I thought poor Snobaybe knew so she wouldn't assume I was yelling at her, was that I went to grade school with a Shawn and a Shaun. These young men were so GROSS! there is not other word for it. They would bring nude pictures and show them around at school, they would throw up on purpose and one of the two I am pretty sure had NEVER met a bathtub or shower in his life.

There was NO WAY, my child should it be a boy, would be a Shawn or a Shaun because of it. No insult intended to anyone that OWNS those particular spellings, okay? Lol. just my own NO! My ex then said "Well how about Sean, like in Sean Connery?" I thought for a minute, and then said. "Sold!" A compromise I can live with.

Anne Shirley of the Anne of Green Gables is right.. the spelling really does matter!

So. what about you all, how was naming children for you? Or what names do you like?

It could be fun to talk about!

10 comments:

  1. I had to think about this one, because for the most part there really hasn't been anyone thing that has determined how we named our children, it just had to feel right. The one thing I did want was that first names and middle names have meanings that worked well together. I also didnt' want to use traditional middle names, like Anne, Lee, Beth, Elizabeth, things like that. I also didnt' want to use too common of names but I don't think I avoided that with Abbie, Abigail and Abbie are just too popular right now. Does that mean in my old age, I just don't care any more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm well as seeing I don't have any kids yet, I'm honestly not sure, as pointed out a lot depends on who ever I have kids with and their feelings on the subject. I really like Felicity, but I can't get attached to too many because I don't dare lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, um, my parents always told me that I was named for purity, from the Greek word katharos. Well, they chose to be inventive in their spelling and my dad found that Kathryn is from the Greek word for TORTURE! So I think that spelling is of paramount importance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I agree Ish. It really made a difference for use.

    I know I only got to name one girl, but I had a HUGE list of names I adore. Susannah, Amanda, Erica, Laura, Gemma, Miranda, Michaela ( for michael! hehe)

    But it was so hard to name the boys. We got Jayson in there which had been a favorite name of mine since the serious "Here come the Brides!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susannah was on our list for abbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:45 PM

    I have an Abigail, an Anna and a Miles. Abigail (Abbie, also) was chosen before it started getting all popular. I was annoyed when it was like the 7th most popular name the year she was born. Anna as well.

    The names were chosen because in our minds we could just see our children... and those were their names. Miles was chosen more out of desperation. LOL. We couldn't agree on a single boy's name. Finally, I went through an entire 10,000 name book and found about 20 names I could deal with. My dh only liked Miles. So, there it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:34 PM

    We are the "in" family-
    Carlin, Jaren, Taryn, Hayden
    There are two boys and two girls and it's not who you think! The first two are boys and the last two girls. 2 have very proper traditional English and family names- James and Elizabeth. 1 has his Vietnamese name for the middle (Chien which means victory) and one just has a nice southern red head sounding name (she's the only one with red hair and the only one born in the south)- Samantha.
    The only hard one to name was the third and first child. She was 4 days old before we finally put it down in writing. A very good friend helped us out. We just could not figure out a middle name and we knew she should be Taryn but we just didn't know if that was a wise thing to do with Jaren already there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Oops, meant third child, first girl up there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Taryn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe.. well we have been busy trying to name characters for the Noela universe.

    The twins were the last couple we had to name and we have a new character we have just added so we were considering names for that person.... Stay tuned.. see if we are the "cool" people in that Universe.

    ReplyDelete